7:05 AM to 1:55 PM, Monday through Friday
Welcome to the Middle School Counseling page! The Counseling Department at Albert G. Prodell Middle School supports and promotes every student’s goals to achieve success in school. We advocate for students’ educational needs and work to ensure that these needs are addressed at every level of the school experience. We will help students establish their educational paths and provide them with all the information necessary to succeed. We aim to create a trusting environment for our students and encourage them to speak to us with any concerns – educational or personal – so that we may help them find the appropriate assistance. On this page, we included information about our program and helpful resources for students and parents.
For more resources, join our Google Classroom!
Class Code: yh3qro6
The mission of Shoreham-Wading River School Counseling program is to prepare our students with the essential skills needed to develop life-long social, emotional, and academic success and well-being. As counselors, we prepare students for successful transitions between buildings and ultimately, for their post-secondary life. Our students are provided opportunities to explore the relationships of academics to the world of work and to the community, including building the types of connections that will support and strengthen their future success. A continuum of services are available to all students through individual, small group, and classroom settings.
MEET THE COUNSELING STAFF
- Brendan Lynch, School Counselor (A-L)
- About Me: Hello everyone! I have had the pleasure of working at the middle school since the 2018-2019 school year. I love my role as a school counselor where I have the opportunity to meet with students and support them in their academic and personal goals. Middle School encompasses important years where students learn more about themselves, their individual interests, and goals. I enjoy fostering a growth mindset, exploring each individual student’s unique potential. My hobbies include spending time with my family and friends, fishing, spending time at the beach, and being in the great outdoors!
- Kaitlin Moriarty, School Counselor (M-Z)
- About Me: Hello everyone! I have been working with the Shoreham-Wading River community since the fall of 2020. I love meeting with students, learning about their interests and helping them plan for their future. I am passionate about supporting students to become responsible, respectful and resilient members of their community. I believe that each student is unique and has the potential to become the best version of themselves. My hobbies include spending time with friends and family, participating in yoga and fitness activities, traveling and enjoying the outdoors.
- Doreen Armstrong, School Psychologist
- About Me: Hello all! I began my SWR career in 2007, as a leave replacement at the Briarcliff School. From there I spent over 9 wonderful years at the Wading River School. For the past 4 years, I have been so fortunate to be a part of the Prodell MS family and our amazing counseling team. As a psychologist, I apply my counseling and testing skills to assist students in finding their strengths and passions. My goal is to guide them as they set and achieve their personal goals and aspirations. I also provide strategies and skills to help students navigate the social and emotional changes that typically occur as they enter their early teen years. As Prodell’s Committee on Special Education and Section 504 chairperson, I collaborate with teachers and parents to identify student needs, and advocate for the appropriate programs and services necessary to enhance students’ academic, social and emotional success. At home, I love spending time with my family and friends, cooking, hosting parties, reading, and snuggling with my shih-tzu, Lola.
- Mr. Carrasco, School Psychologist
- About Me: Greetings! I began working in this district in Fall of 2018. I spent most of my time working with the little ones at Miller Avenue and Wading River School for the first two years. However, I am extremely fortunate to have been able to work at almost every school in the district. This year, I currently work half time at Prodell and half time at SWR High School. I am also the JV Girls Volleyball Coach. Being involved with the community and getting to know the students are paramount for me. As a psychologist, I counsel and test students to place them in a setting where they can be most successful. Also, implementing and assisting with the social emotional learning for the district is where I feel at home. Growing up with 12 brothers and sisters has allowed me to appreciate everyone's uniqueness. I always look to help make the staff and students feel a part of something. I am a musician (saxophone, clarinet), tennis, volleyball player, and coach.
- Andrea Monz, School Social Worker
- About Me: Greetings everyone, I have had the pleasure of being part of the Shoreham-Wading River School Community since January 2010. This is truly my home away from home. One of the things I love most about working for the middle school is that we work as a team! Administrators, teachers, and staff all work together to provide our students with academic, social and emotional support needed for our students overall success. When I am not working...I am spending time with my family/friends and my chocolate lab. I enjoy dancing, hiking, kayaking, working out, running, road biking, horseback riding, cooking/baking, long drives, the beach and writing poetry. I am also the appointed DASA Dignity Act Coordinator for our middle school.
- Rosalie Burke, Senior Office Assistant
- About Me: Hi, there! I have also had the pleasure of being a part of the Shoreham-Wading River School District since October, 1997! My career started as a lunch monitor at Miller Avenue School and blossomed into a one-on-one teaching assistant at Miller Avenue. I also was a TA for inclusion at the Middle School. While I truly loved being in the classroom with our students, in the fall of 2004, I moved over to a clerical position where I worked at the District Office. In 2006, I started working at the middle school and have been there ever since. I have enjoyed working for SWR on every level and feel truly blessed. As a Senior Office Assistant in the Guidance Dep’t., I work closely with Mr. Lynch, Ms. Moriarty, Ms. Armstrong and Ms. Monz. Some things I enjoy doing when not working are country line dancing, which I have had the pleasure of sharing with our 6th grade students during wellness week, hot yoga, the beach, hiking, and have been working out at a local gym for 25 years. Anything outdoors is fine by me! I cannot forget to mention spending time with my “Joey”. He is a little tripod dog I rescued two years ago and truly love with all my heart!
- Alison Soto, School Nurse
- About Me: Hi All! My name is Alison Soto and I am a Registered Nurse. This is my 8th year at Prodell Middle School. I previously worked at Miller Ave for a year and in hospitals prior to that. I enjoy working with students at the Middle School level and work closely with the mental health team. Often a student's physical symptoms/complaints go hand in hand with a social/emotional issue. Therefore, we share pertinent health information when needed and collaborate on how to best help our students. I also sit in on CSE's to help identify and plan for any specific health concerns related to school. Outside of work, I'm a Mom to a pre-teen and teen so I know firsthand how exciting yet challenging these teen years can be.
COUNSELING EVENTS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Welcome Back assembly
- Schedule adjustments
- Personal/crisis counseling
- Consultation with teachers and administrators
- Parent inquiries via email/phone
- Progress Report review and follow up
- Report Card review and follow up
- Attendance review and follow up
- Professional development
- 6th grade orientation to middle school
- Naviance Career Inventory with 8th grade
- Red Ribbon Week
- Transition planning for students with IEP
- DASA reports and referrals
- Signs of Suicide (SOS) Presentations
- 8th grade Parent Conferences
- Master schedule planning for upcoming school year
- 5th grade parent night
- Summer school registration